Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesday

Today, I went into to sit in class.  I was still tired from yesterday, the day I missed class.

Ms. Patton wanted to act out and generalize many scenes from the play.  I was paired up with Cherry and given Act One Scene Thirteen.  This scene was about Gallimard going to Song's flat.  He just received a promotion at work and felt empowered, so he went to Song's flat unannounced.  Song was obviously disturbed that he was there because Gallimard had been avoiding her a couple weeks prior.  Soon the scene ends with them fooling around.  It showed the stereotype of Song being the Asian submissive woman, and Gallimard was the dominant White man, who practically forced the two to have some kind of intercourse.

I didn't feel nervous acting it out, but I felt that I didn't want to give it my all.  Cherry was shy, so I tried not to pressure her into reciting the lines also.  But the class wanted us to do it, so we did it.

I think this scene portrayed Gallimard and Song's lies in each line.  Line after line, they kept lying about things from Gallimard's delusional personality to Song's gender.  I think this scene is very ironic in how it ended.

No comments: